Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Well, here we are again...

Crap.

Had "glattkjøring" (i.e. mandatory driving on slippery tracks) yesterday. Plus a practical session on overtaking. I have never driven this much in my entire life! 6 hours with more or less constant driving back and forth to Vikeså (I think) from Nærbø from 7 o'clock in the morning to around 1 o'clock in the afternoon. I drove on the way back while this other dude who was with me and my driving instructor drove on the way towards the tracks. It was dark, so I just let him do first. I feared I was still incompetent in that field.

The driving in itself was ok. At least I got experience in driving on slippery tracks - which was the main objective of our going there. The overtaking was demonstrably much better. But then again the road wasn't that slippery, if ever they were. In addition, it wasn't as dark as in the morning before 9 o'clock.

However, my day didn't end there. at 4pm I had to be in Sandnes to attend a preliminary course in driving in the dark. We simply went through the theoretical stuff first, e.g. the risks of driving in the dark, the factors controlling one's view of the road and potential dangers, etc. In the end I was so tired that I almost fell asleep during the last part of our teacher's lecture. I'm sorry to say it, but my eyelids were drooping and I think he might have noticed. Not that it matters, though.

When I came back I was so extremely tired that I could barely keep my eyes open and resolved - after having eaten a simple, yet slightly filling snack of toast with shrimp-egg-mayo salad and mackerel filet in tomato sauce plus the odd glass of milk - to take a snooze on the couch. That snooze lasted 3 hours. 3 hours of almost constant sleeping 'till it was 9 o'clock and I decided to eat some more and go to bed. (My record of napping continuously is at 8 hours, btw.)

When I woke up this morning at 8.30am I was still groggy after the last day, and after having struggled myself up to eat breakfast and surf a bit on the net writing mails to pals, I finally decided to give in to my tiredness and have a lie down. Now I feel excellent. And perky. Which is good, as tonight at 8:15pm I'll be going back to Sandnes to join a practical demonstration of driving in the dark, which won't be over until around 9-10pm or so. I won't be home until around 10-11pm. And I don't like being outside in the dark. I don't like being outside in the dark at all.

Hence the "Crap" that initiated this blog entry.

But at least Iwon't be working a jot this week and the next. I have decided to devote these two weeks to Spanish and taking my theoretical exam for driving - which I'll hopefully pass on my first try. But still, come what may.

What a gripping life I do lead. (Self-sarcasm, if anyone ever doubted it.)

But last evening while I was on the train on my way back home from the theoretical stuff in Sandnes I had this unexpected surge of inspiration (if one can indeed call it a "surge of inspiration"). My thoughts were simply just rambling about, and I made strange sentences which made more or less no sense and weren't coherent at all when they were put together. I have absolutely no idea whatsoever as to what caused these ramblings - I've had these before immediately after having had Spanish, and coincidentally on the train as well - but I thought I should post them on this site. Ya know, just for the heck of it. Just to publish it so others may witness the weird outcomes of my nonsensical ramblings.

Here's the first, then:

Chocolate, devour me in your sweetness.
Love me in your tears.
Juliette is far away, so succumb to my desires.
Epignant lust, effusive trust;
litter away your sorrows.
Sweet mannah from Heaven sent, disembalm my fears.

And to think of it - "epignant" isn't even a word! Heh, I might have found a substitution for the word "repugnant" in my unconsciousness, or something. I dunno. Here's another one; somewhat in rhymes this time:

Lovely licorice lad a-low.
Shatter my insinuations.
Sit, sit, sit and pray, in awe of the world a-go.
Beautiful balmy brow of thine, suffer unto me.
Ruffle in the darling winds and give myself to thee.

Then there was this sentence that just wouldn't let go:

My inner scream.

Don't ask me how or why I came up with these strange things. But they're poetic, though, aren't they? The last one slightly Shakespearian, perhaps. Maybe I was just so frustrated and so tired because of the day's challenges that rambling about like this gave me a sense of relief. But believe me, that evening I really did want to just open a window and just scream towards the night sky. However, I didn't, because that would just be too embarrassing and would perhaps cause unwanted havoc from my parents and perhaps from surrounding neighbors.

But that will be all for now. More poetic outbursts and incoherent sentences (be it in Spanish, English or Norwegian) later!

Elise

No comments: