Friday, February 17, 2006

Querida familia... Out there in the cyberworld of the internet...

La gente se tiran pollos en las calles...

Not exactly a very faithful account of what happens at the Spanish fiesta of La Tomatina... (Hm, I thought they threw tomatoes in the street instead of chickens... I could be wrong, of course...) My excuse for this insanely strange sentence is that we were discussing about La Tomatina in class a few weeks ago and on my way to the train (i.e. one step closer to dinner and toilet at home that evening) I was - yet again, alack - rambling about with Spanish words, terms and sentences. Especially sentences. Don't do it with terms as much.

If there really is anyone out there reeeeeeaaaally interested in my vida muy pequeña, I'm-a just gonna write some stuff about the things that have been going on lately.

Well, I've got to say that lately my Spanish has been quite well-received. Every Thursday the class is split into two groups wherein we just write in Spanish about topics that we're supposed to talk about (or ramble about, if you will) during our oral exams in May/June. We're also practicing with our teacher on how to express ourselves well enough to get the grades we want. It's a real benefit for all of us, I think, even though we do have the choice of declining the offer if we absolutely cannot talk in Spanish for any reason at all.

Ugh, Spanish class on Wednesday was a real surprise for all of us. Suddenly our teacher seemed to turn completely bonkers/mental/psycho. :-S He asked us to write something about tourism in Spain in two minutes before we were to sit in a circle. We then read what we'd written to one of our neighbors and after 2 minutes more he took our notes away and made us talk about what we'd written. Mind you, it was just a few of us who'd actually gotten the unpalatable privilege to talk - and yes, I was one of them, sadly. He pointed on one of the students in the class and made her talk, then she was given the privilege to point at someone else to make them talk (that someone being one of my limited amount of friends at school, Line) and then she -the next person who was given the duty to talk - pointed at me. *sigh* I won't say anything else. Well, I can, and I don't really think I did too bad... But still...

Hehe, but what was rather funny was that after I'd finished - relieved, mind you - talking about the information I'd prepared, I was then to point at someone, so I pointed at one of my neighbors, Eilen, who called me (spontaneously, of course) a "bitch". The class burst out into laughter - including me -but she apologized and explained that it was just at the spur of the moment and that she really didn't mean it. Really. Guess someone didn't want to speak Spanish in front of the rest of the class. But my principle at that time was that if Line picked me, then I'd pick Eilen. If two of us were going down, the third would have to follow! That's just fair, innit?

Oh yeah. Finally I have the opportunity to take the theoretical exam for my driver's license! Weeeey! At this point I just want to get the whole friggin' thing over with. I'm tired of having to attend driving lessons all the time and reading in that wrinkly old book that I've got for studying the signs, rules for driving, etc. I just wanna get it over with and not have to care about it anymore! Don't care if I get my driver's license; I'm getting tired of catalytic converters, duty of yielding, window wipers, car tyres, acceleration etc., etc.

Ugh.

And I've only had 20 or so driving lessons... May seem a lot, but apparetly this amount is quite minute... Alas, we must proceed with the utmost discretion and patience. I won't nag about this anymore. Well, at least not for now...

Ugh.

That was for the fact that I'm going to have a mock exam in Spanish tomorrow, despite the fact that it is a Saturday. The party people in my class were objecting quite a bit yesterday when the teacher announced that tomorrow was going to be the day. (Not that we weren't informed about this before... We were, really.) I'm studying right now, but I don't know if it'll turn out the way I want it to... Thank God it's only a mock one, though!

Well, better get back to studying for tomorrow's exam... Or grab myself some grub... Have some dinner? Hm... Feeling kinda peckish... Actually more than peckish, but still... I'm hungry either way.

More later about my ridiculously monotonous life...

Elise

No comments: