Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Kamikaze snowflakes, Halloween and "silly English knnnniggets"

The snow finally arrived. I.e. sleet, i.e. kamikaze snowflakes. Doesn't really make sense, as there perhaps is a kamikaze element in all kinds of snowflakes, arguably also in rain, but I thought that compound was kinda cool.

Weird thoughts. Borderline absurd, even. But weird is cool. Weird is unique. Absurd is even better. Anyway... *shoves thoughts aside*

My brain is apparently taking a holiday at the moment. Nothing seems to be penetrating into my head. I guess this is the teflon-covered brain syndrome getting at me again... Grr. Bad timing. Then again, when it comes to this stuff it always is... :-S

Hm. What else to say... Oh yeah, it's Halloween. *unenthusiastic cheering from audience* I don't know about you, but Halloween in Norway is so overrated. It seems so strange when kids here in Norway do trick-or-treating; seems a bit fake in my view. After all, this is an American custom, that the media has managed to integrate (to some extent) into Norwegian society. "Knep eller knask"??? My ass. Sounds even more fake in my ears. Nah, "julebukk" is much better. At least that custom wasn't introduced by the media... But somehow I doubt kids think as far as this. After all, they get free candy. Either that, or get to throw eggs at houses. Which some kids did to us (i.e. family back home) a few years ago. Our excuse was that we didn't hear the doorbell (fyi, it sometimes doesn't sound properly). Ah well, what's two eggs? :-P Enough said on this topic.

Oooh! Oooh! Oooh! Stumbled over a really cute quote from my grammar book (of all things):

"May an anti-hygiene group declare your house a shrine!"

*giggle* Almost on the verge of being an insult, that.

Speaking of insults... (complete rambling, of course!):



Me? Do I like Monty Python? Gee, how can you tell...? :-P

And off we go...

Peaceful and harmonious vibes to the world,
Elise

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Uuuummm.... Halloween isn't American... It's originally Irish/Celtic, and they brought it over to America, where the trend exploded more or less and became very commercial..
Besides, today's Halloween is a mix and match of holidays to cover over older celebrations, such as for example Samhain, which the Vikings celebrated - the passing from summer (or autumn now in later years) to winter..
http://idun.wicca.no/sabbater/samhain/
:) Happy Samhain!! :P :D

Elise said...

*cringe* Sorry about that! But what I was referring to was the commercial aspect of Halloween. The whole American deal with with throwing eggs on/TP-ing houses, trick-or-treating, etc. That stuff. That's what I think's overrated. The original intention of the celebration is completely forgotten nowadays. (Referring to Catholic traditions here, btw.)

Thanks for the correction! :D Happy halloween to you too!

Elise

Elise said...

Errr... Not saying that Catholicism is the origin of traditions. Just referring to my own knowledge and experience of these things. :)

Unknown said...

*laughs* That's okay.. :P ;) :)
And I agree, I dislike the commercializm that is happening to most holidays.. :)

Sminkedukkene said...

Haha, yay! You found my fav monty clip. Well wish me good luck. Tomorrow is judgment day. *wibble*

Elise said...

Judgement day? Omigosh... that soon?! You'll be in my prayers!

Hugs!

Elise

Monsoon said...

Yes, I remember when I lived in Ireland. Halloween was great there, because you knew it was from there it originated...

I totally detest the fact that Halloween is celebrated here. it's just another excuse for this country's retailers to earn more money off our kids. Blargh! Isteach Gaeilge: Oíche Shamhna
Which menas; in Irish:Oíche Shamhna
If I remember correctly...
Yes, today's gaelic lesson... Hehe...

Monsoon :-)